February 23rd, 2018.

If your business is owed money, then as long as it is less than £10,000, you can use the ‘small claims court’ to recover what is owed to you.

Part of the county court, the small claims court was originally created to enable a layperson (ie someone who is not legally qualified) to take another individual to court.

The process is relatively simple, and you can do it yourself; you don’t need to engage a solicitor to help you.

There are fees involved, so do consider this before you take action. For example, when you file the claim there will be a fee to pay (this is dependent on the size of the claim), and then should a hearing be required and/or bailiffs to seize goods, further fees will be payable. In most cases these fees can be added to your claim – but, in our experience they are seldom recovered, even if the initial debt is paid.

If you do decide to take the small claims route then the very first action is to write the other party a letter. This should clarify why they owe you money, including all the evidence you have to support....

For the full story at CLICK HERE.